Sunday, March 23, 2008

A movie that's probably gone already


When you go to Music Box a lot, most of the movies are amazing, but the problem with the art house theaters is that the movies are there for a week, MAYBE two and then gone. You wanna tell people about 'em but by the time they get around to seeing the movie or movies that you're raving about, they're long gone. What kicks ass now is Netflix and other online DVD rentals. You can hear about a movie and if it's not in theaters, or even if it is, you can put the title in your queue and forget about it until it shows up in your mailbox.

Now, I can link to the actual movie. It's called "Chop Shop." See the trailer here. Ebert gave it 4 stars, and all I can say is that it's about as real as a movie can get. Seeing a young (and I mean YOUNG) kid busting his ass to get by on the streets of Queens is a world that I hadn't seen before. No twists and turns, no surprise endings, just an honest look at a different world. I'll go 3.5 stars.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I play records at WXRT in Chicago. 93.1 on the FM dial. 93xrt.com as well.